- being bi-cultural
- issues of gender
- effects of education
- influence or role of family on the individual
- relationship to the West
- what each girl was like before and after the war
- influence of society and culture on the individual
- the importance of social justice
- the importance of society over the individual or the importance of the individual over society
For inspiration, please read the following compare/contrast blog post
IN CLASS ACTIVITY:
1. Use at least two of these conjunctions in a sentence: for, nor, yet, so, but
2. Finish these sentences:
Although Malala . . .
Despite Marjane’s . . .
Whereas Malala . . .
While Marjane . . .
Provided that . . .
(You can substitute the words Malala and Marjane with Pakistan, Iran, Taliban, Persepolis, I Am Malala, Islam, and whatever else fits.)